How I Gained 1.1k Instagram Followers in 1 Month

Can you believe it? Yet another month and come and gone, in what seems like the blink of an eye. It is crazy to say that March will be here tomorrow! And Spring is a few weeks away.

I thought 2017 just started?! Where has the time gone?

Although this month went by fast, I am happy to say that it was a great month. And I hope February was great for you too! I have waited to create this monthly review for what seems like forever. And I am beyond excited to share with you all that I have done in 28 short days!

Want to gain Instagram followers fast?! I'm sharing my top tips on how to gain more Instagram followers in 1 month! Plus a little February Recap.

February Monthly Review

This month was good to me. But it didn’t come easy. I worked hard and learned a lot!

I worked each day 8 to 5 for my full-time job. And I always work through lunch!

Then I worked on The Content Bug for at least an hour or 2 each night.

There were many nights that I worked while making dinner. Or I even worked when I was laying in bed at night. For a week, I even woke up at 5:30 and started work by 6. And I woke up at 7:30 on Saturdays and worked for a couple hours to start the day.

Almost every chance I got, I was working.

It was intense. And something I may (or may not) do again. But it was worth it to see the hard work pay off.

In the month of February, I…

• Increased my Instagram following by 1,100+
  • Increased my Pinterest following by 115+
  • Increased my monthly page views by 167%
  • Had a blog post shared over 1,000 times
  • Became an affiliate to 5 different companies
  • Started an email list (launching next week!)
  • Redesigned parts of my website
  • And made $6.14 with very little effort!

And this is only my 2nd month blogging!

When surfing through Pinterest, you see a lot of blog posts with how bloggers made $15,000 a month blogging. Or how they increased their social media following by 500%.

And the fact of the matter is, that there are a lot of crazy bloggers out there who work their butts off to make it happen. And anyone can make it happen. You just have to be driven and crazy enough to do it.

To some, my achievements might not seem like a lot. But this is more than I thought I could have done in this month!

If you want to read more about my February monthly review, go ahead and read this blog post! It covers everything that I did this past month to get 1 step closer to my 2017 goals.

Looking back

If you remember my January review, my goal was to have over 500 followers on Instagram, now I am over 1,500! I exceeded my own expectations. By a lot!

And I couldn’t have done it without you guys. The amount of love I have gotten in a short period of time is amazing! I would have never thought I would be where I am, just a month and a half after I launched this site.

So I want to say thank you! Thank you for being here. Thank you for supporting me. And thank you for helping The Content Bug grow.

Now let’s get down to it. I’m going to share all my darkest secrets on how I got my blog and social media to grow in just a short period of time.

Let’s do this!

30 Day Instagram Challenge - promo - The Content Bug

Instagram Report

My goal for the end of 2017 is to have 50k followers on Instagram. And that is a hefty goal! But I know it is something I can achieve if I work for it.

Remember last month where I said I wanted to have 500+ followers by the end of February. Well, I rocked that goal! Crushed it actually.

My Instagram at the end of January:

Instagram 1.31 - The Content Bug Update

My Instagram at the end of February:

The Content Bug Instagram Account - February

I gained over 1,100+ followers on Instagram in a month! Yep, you read that right. In 1 month, I more than tripled my followers. And it was surreal to watch it happen.

How I gained 1.1k Instagram followers

This month, I worked my butt off on Instagram. For a week straight, I was on Instagram at least once an hour liking over 100 photos. EACH HOUR!

I tried to comment on various posts with positive and thoughtful comments. And it wasn’t: “Great photo!”

No. Instead, I would read their captions and respond to what they said. Or I asked how they took the photo. Or how they edited it! I would even go and find new blog posts from fellow bloggers, read the post, and then go back to Instagram to leave a comment about it.

To say the least, I spent a lot of time on Instagram. BUT that was only for 1 solid week. And in that week, I increased my followers by 600+. It was truly amazing to watch.

But I knew I had to slow it down. I was wasting a lot of my time surfing Instagram trying to find other accounts to interact with. Since that week of intense Instagramming, my followers have increased much slower. But it is still increasing each day!

Now, I spend about a half hour in the morning, at lunch, and at night, finding new people to follow. I rarely ever leave comments. But I do try to go through my feed and like the photos. Or I will go to a hashtag I use, and go through and like photos of relevant content.

Also, I try to follow almost everyone who follows me first! Now I do get a lot of spam accounts that follow me. And that’s normal. So if you see accounts that try to tell you that they can help you get 1,000+ followers, IGNORE THEM! It’s spam. Only follow those accounts that are real, and interesting!

Following your followers is a great way to learn more about your followers and what they are up to.

But you have to pay attention to those people who are just following you to unfollow you. Again, this is normal.

I like to use the app Followers Pro for Instagram. This will show you who recently followed you, who unfollowed you, who isn’t following you back, and who you aren’t following back.

followers pro for instagram

About once or twice a day, I go into the app and see who has unfollowed me. And if it is someone who I was following, and no longer have an interest in them… I will unfollow them as well.

I do the same thing with the area that shows me who isn’t following me back. If I have been following someone who awhile, and they don’t stand out to me, then I will unfollow them.

So if you want to weed out who you follow, and know who unfollows you, go get the Followers Pro for Instagram app! It’s free! (Like basically everything else I recommend to you)

If you don’t already follow my Instagram account,  go do that now!

30 Day Instagram Challenge - promo - The Content Bug

Conclusion

To say the least, growing you Instagram is not an easy task. You need to put in a lot of time and energy to really make it work for you.

And the main key to a successful Instagram presence is engagement. So continue to engage, engage, engage! And in time, there will be a great reward.

But also remember that your success is not determined by numbers. It does not mean that you are more successful if you have 10k followers compared to 1k. Instead, just be proud of every step of your journey and work your hardest to reach your dreams.

And if that means having a lot of Instagram followers, then more power to ya!

What are your goals for Instagram? I’d love to hear them in the comments below!

Keep Reading…

How to Authentically Grow Your Instagram in 30 Days | Do you want to grow your Instagram fast?! It seems like most people want to gain Instagram followers fast but they don't know how to build an authentic following that will actually make a difference. Enter this blog post! In this post, I'm sharing the tips and tricks I used to gain over 1,000 followers in just a month! With actionable steps on how you can grow your Instagram too. Do you have an Instagram Business account? Well, it might be time to get one! This blogger's guide to Instagram Business talks about the differences between a personal Instagram account and a Business Instagram account, if you need to switch to an Instagram Business account, and everything you need to know about the Instagram Business Insights feature.

About the Author

The Content Bug - Cath Headshot 4Why, hello there! I’m Cathrin, the creator of The Content Bug. But since we are already virtual best friends, you can call me Cath. After working in the digital marketing industry, I decided it was time to share my love for online content creation, social media, and SEO with the everyday hustlers of the world… like YOU! You can almost always find me at a local coffee shop writing, reading and working on new things for The Content Bug. But when I have some free time, I love hanging out with my dog, going to a yoga class, and being outside. Stay connected with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter to see what I’m up to!

33 responses to “How I Gained 1.1k Instagram Followers in 1 Month”

1. Jenn says:

It says in this post your goal is 50k instagram followers by the end of 2017, it’s now November and you don’t seem to have many more followers now than you did 9 months ago… what changed?

• Cath says:

If you read some of my other posts, I explain a little bit about what changed. But mainly, when I set that goal, I didn’t know too much about gaining an honest following on Instagram. And since doing all this work in 1 month, I decided that it wasn’t worth it. And it was actually a big waste of my time.

I now view my Instagram as a place where I connect with my current audience not try to build an audience. Because when I was just trying to grow, I was actually noticing that some of my most engaged followers would stop following me. And it just wasn’t worth it!

So if you want to grow your Instagram, that’s great! But remember it’s not all about your numbers… it’s about the actual people behind those numbers.

XO, Cath

2. Sarah says:

This was great! I’ve been struggling with getting followers on Instagram. I’ve joined a couple pods to help with engagement and that seems to have helped. No matter what it seems like you have to put in a lot of work. Thanks for the motivation!

Hey Sarah!

Growing your Instagram can be a lot of work, I definitely agree with that! But if you keep creating amazing content then your audience will grow in time.

XO, Cath

3. Celeste says:

Great article, thanks.. Our Instagram account is not nearly where we want it to be and I’m going to follow your tips. Growing your Instagram audience takes hard work but the rewards are great.

• Cath says:

If you want some extra tips and a guide to follow, make sure you download the free 30 day Instagram challenge! It will help to break you outside of your comfort zone to get the results you want!

Best of luck growing that Insta account! You can do it!
      XO, Cath

4. Pooja says:

Hi Cath,

It was ecstatic to read your post. I started my Instagram page just yesterday. I’m into doodling and lettering. And I hope it works well. Will definitely try to use your techniques.

Keep inspiring!

Hey Pooja!

That’s so exciting for you! I love lettering but I’ve never been good at it myself haha.

Make sure you stay tuned for the 30 Day Instagram challenge launching tonight! It’s gonna be FREE 🙂
      XO, Cath

5. Oh wow, that is amazing, congrats, Cath!

I’ve been trying to gain new followers as well and I engage with my community, but reading this, I see that I need to step my game up!
    Seriously, kudos on amazing growth, and I love that you did it the right way – by actually interacting with other people!

Keep up the awesome work!

Hey Damjan!

Thank you so much! It was some serious hard work but I’m excited to share with others and help everyone grow! Gaining a solid following on Instagram is now joke! Stay tuned for the launch of my 30 Day Instagram Challenge 🙂

XO, Cath

6. Leeza Maharjan says:

Hey!
    I found out your blogs and I’m really loving it. I just have 500+ followers on my Instagram I’m gonna try your tips and see how my instagram followers grow.????

Hi Lezza!

I’m so glad that you are loving my blog! And keep working on that Instagram growth! It’s all about engagement and providing real value to your audience! I believe in you 🙂

XO, Cath

7. Becca says:

This is a great article, thank you! That app is amazing – I’ve been looking for one to weed out the follow to unfollow grams and this is perfect, and free!

Hey Becca!

I could not agree more! When I was first getting started with Instagram that app was a life saver for me. It really helps you understand who your true followers are compared to the follow-unfollow accounts.

XO, Cath

8. Emily says:

Hi there! I found this to be really helpful. I recently started building my instagram, and while I’ve had a little success, I still am WAY to far from my goal of 1k followers. I’m trying to build it for my custom painted shoe business, and I sell on Etsy. I find it hard to reach “true” followers, and I have never had any sales. 🙁 It’s hard to find a target audience when most of my tags are paint, art, and etsy related. I wish I could say #bemycustomer but I don’t want to be pushy and annoying. Although your blog is different than what I’m doing, it was still helpful. I’m still trying, though, so thanks for the tips! 🙂

Hi Emily!

Thank you so much for the thoughtful comment! It is so important that you focus on building the right following and not just a large following. But here’s my recommendation to you… start out by finding 1 ideal customer. Just find 1 account that embodies your target audience. Then look to see what hashtags they use if any. Also, check out what accounts they follow! If they follow other Etsy custom painting store, then check out those accounts. See what they are doing and see what kind of people are following them. And then fee; free to engage with their followers!

This is a great way to find new accounts that would be interested in you! And don’t think of this as being sneaky. Just because they are following another account doesn’t mean that they can’t follow yours as well 🙂

XO, Cath

9. Bloggerpunit says:

Good work!
    Thank you for this great guide.
    Hopefully with your recommendation and these tips i will try it out again and see how it works.

• Cath says:

Thank you! And I’m glad that you enjoyed reading about my experience 🙂 It was surely a crazy month!

And always remember to focus on your engagement! This is by far the best way to grow all of your social media accounts!
      XO, Cath

10. Kasia says:

Great post. This is very encouraging. I launched my blog 1 month ago and I’m going fierce on Instagram and Pinterest. Two platforms I didn’t use before. I’ve grown my Twitter following over a few years so that’s helping a bit. And I’ve also joined Facebook groups so that all helps. I wish you great success and keep in touch.

11. yaneph says:

This blog post was filled with great content. I plan on using your tips to improve my Pinterest and Instagram accounts. I will be launching an online website soon and I think your tips will be great for building a brand. Thanks a lot and keep up the great work.
    Check out BlacbyDesign soon!

12. Brandi says:

Great, Great post!! You especially helped me with your success on IG. This has honestly been the one SM platform that’s caused me the greatest stress (for lack of a better word.) The app you shared is genius! You’ve inspired me to dive back into the waters once again! 😉 Now, I’ll be armed with the right equipment. Thanks again!

Hey Brandi!

With any social media account, you can’t focus on your numbers for the short term. think of your long term goals and come up with a plan on how you are going to get there. And then work for it!

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it! And that app is seriously great for monitoring your followers! I seriously recommend it. 🙂

13. Sareeta says:

Thanks for the recommendation! I have an even smaller account than what you started with but I like the idea of spending half an hour here and there with the app. Definitely going to try it!

Hi Saretta!

The app really was a game changer for me! I hope it works for you too.

And just remember that everyone started from the same spot you are at. You have to start at the bottom to make it to the top! 🙂

14. Anonymous says:

Wow, that’s fantastic for your second month of blogging! I’m not surprised though, your content is very detailed and really easy to read, I’m sure your success will continue.

15. Adriana says:

This gave me SO much motivation! Thank you! I can’t believe this is only your second month. I’m in week three.

Take that $6 and go get yourself something nice. ????????

16. Hanka says:

Wow! What numbers! Amazing! Congratulations!
    As for Pinterest, I’ve started with Group Boards last week, so I´m really curious, how it turns out!

• Cath says:

Pinterest group boards are great! I was a little worried with them appearing on my profile at first but it really is a great way to spread the love!

17. Philip says:

Thanks for this. Some great stuff!

18. Veronika says:

Hi Cathrin,
    Loved your article! That is amazing results you got just in one month! Congratulations! I am currently working on my Instagram and Pinterest followers numbers as well, and will definitely follow your blog for new updates and tips!

• Cath says:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you reading the post and supporting my blog!

Good luck with growing you Instagram and Pinterest. I just followed your Pinterest account and I can’t wait to see what you’ve been doing with your blog! 🙂