How I Gained 1.1k Instagram Followers in 1 Month

Looking at my Instagram now, you might be surprised that I gained over a thousand Instagram followers in a month.

But I did. And I’ve got screenshots to prove it in this post.

Now, I have to be honest… After this 1 month of working my butt off on growing my Instagram account, I took a step back. And since then, I’ve really stopped trying to grow my Instagram.

Would I love if I gained more Instagram followers? Of course! That would mean more people that I could impact.

But right now, the growth of my blog is coming from Pinterest and Google, not Instagram.

So I view Instagram as a place to engage with my current audience instead of trying to grow it.

Now with all that said, it’s time to get to the good stuff. I’m going to share with you what I did to grow my Instagram account, some tips I’ve learned since then, and how you can gain more followers in the next 30 days!

Are you ready?

Let’s get started.

INSTAGRAM REPORT

My goal from February was to have 500+ followers. And with 344 followers at the end of January, I would say that this was a pretty reasonable goal.

But I ended up completely crushing that goal.

Here are some screenshots for ya…

My Instagram at the end of January:

Instagram 1.31 - The Content Bug Update

My Instagram at the end of February:

The Content Bug Instagram Account - February

I gained over 1,100+ followers on Instagram in a month! Yep, you read that right. In 1 month, I more than tripled my followers. And it was surreal to watch it happen.

Now let’s talk about how I did it.

HOW I GAINED OVER A THOUSAND FOLLOWERS

This month I worked my butt off on Instagram. And honestly, I spent a ton of time on the platform.

And I’m talking about A LOT of time!

I would spend hours on Instagram a day. And ever half hour to an hour I was on there doing something to help make my account more visible.

Now I’m not going to lie, some of the followers I gained won’t last. And haven’t lasted. Some of them are accounts that are trying to follow just to unfollow me. And I’m okay with that because I used that strategy myself.

And we’ll get into that in a bit.

1. Liked a lot of photos

For a week straight, I was on Instagram at least once an hour liking over 100 photos. EACH HOUR!

I couldn’t even tell you how many photos I double tapped in a day. I just tapped and tapped and tapped until Instagram got mad at me for spamming the platform.

These photos were from people that I followed. As well as some random accounts that I found through hashtags or the explore page.

And in all honesty, I liked photos that I didn’t really like. It was just a tactic to get my account seen.

That’s it.

2. Left quality comments

While I was liking away, I tried to comment on various posts with positive and thoughtful comments. And it wasn’t: “Great photo!”

Nope.

Instead, I would read their captions and respond to what they said. Or I asked how they took the photo. Or how they edited it!

I would even go and find new blog posts from fellow bloggers, read the post, and then go back to Instagram to leave a comment about it.

This took a lot more time than just liking photos. I put some real thought into it. And I think that made a big difference compared to leaving generic comments that everyone leaves.

30 Day Instagram Challenge - promo - The Content Bug

3. Posted daily

In January I tried to post daily. And some days, I would even post twice a day.

But this month, I tried to take my posting schedule very seriously. So most days I shared twice a day. And if not twice a day, it was at least once. But honestly, I think I did miss a few days randomly.

And that’s okay!

With this posting schedule, my reach was increased dramatically! I had so many opportunities to reach new people.

Which ultimately led to more followers.

4. Changed the editing of my images

Before this, all my Instagram photos were black and white.

To explain… I’ve always been OBSESSED with black and white photography. If the world was black and white I think I would be happy.

But in late January I noticed something important: the Instagram accounts I looked up to and inspired me were all in color.

It didn’t make any sense for me to be sharing black and white Instagram photos when those weren’t even the pictures I enjoyed on Instagram. That probably doesn’t make much sense. But think about it… How many accounts do you follow that only share black and white photos?!

Probably not many.

So I completely changed my editing style.

5. Followed new accounts

This probably isn’t a shocker to you. But I followed a decent amount of new accounts.

Now, based on the screenshots above, it looks like I only followed a little over 200 accounts. But in reality, I followed more than that. Which I’ll talk about in the next point.

But I did try to follow some new accounts. At first, I was following just about every account I came by. Then I got strategic.

And I only followed accounts that actually interested me. But I tried to follow accounts that didn’t have too many followers. Sure I’m going to like accounts that have over 100k followers. But that wouldn’t help me to gain more followers.

So I followed some accounts that didn’t have as many followers as well.

6. Unfollowed people who followed-to-unfollow me

Also, I tried to follow almost everyone who followed me first!

Now I do get a lot of spam accounts that follow me. And that’s normal. So if you see accounts that try to tell you that they can help you get 1,000+ followers, IGNORE THEM! It’s spam. Only follow those accounts that are real, and interesting!

Following your followers is a great way to learn more about your followers and what they are up to.

But you have to pay attention to those people who are just following you to unfollow you. Again, this is normal.

I like to use the app Followers Pro for Instagram. This will show you who recently followed you, who unfollowed you, who isn’t following you back, and who you aren’t following back.

followers pro for instagram

About once a day, I would go into the app and see who had unfollowed me. And if it is someone who I was following, and no longer have an interest in them… I would unfollow them as well.

I do the same thing with the area that shows me who isn’t following me back. If I have been following someone who awhile, and they don’t stand out to me, then I will unfollow them.

So if you want to weed out who you follow, and know who unfollows you, go get the Followers Pro for Instagram app!

Want to gain Instagram followers fast?! I'm sharing my top tips on how to gain more Instagram followers in 1 month!

LET’S WRAP IT UP

To say the least, growing your Instagram isn’t an easy task. You need to put in a lot of time and energy to really make it work for you.

And the main key to a successful Instagram presence is engagement. So continue to engage, engage, engage! And in time, there will be a great reward.

But also remember that your success is not determined by numbers. It does not mean that you are more successful if you have 10k followers compared to 1k. Instead, just be proud of every step of your journey and work your hardest to reach your dreams.

And if that means having a lot of Instagram followers, then more power to ya!

30 Day Instagram Challenge - promo - The Content Bug

KEEP READING…

How to Authentically Grow Your Instagram in 30 Days | Do you want to grow your Instagram fast?! It seems like most people want to gain Instagram followers fast but they don't know how to build an authentic following that will actually make a difference. Enter this blog post! In this post, I'm sharing the tips and tricks I used to gain over 1,000 followers in just a month! With actionable steps on how you can grow your Instagram too. tips to take better instagram photos Do you want to drive more traffic to your blog with Instagram?! Instagram is a platform for bloggers. And it can be used to drive people to your website and even help you make money! Learn how you can make your Instagram profitable with this post. | Get blog traffic | Instagram tips for blogger | Instagram hacks #Instagramstips #bloggingsecrets #getmorepageviews

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

The Content Bug - Cath Headshot 4Why, hello there! I’m Cathrin, the creator of The Content Bug. But since we are already virtual best friends, you can call me Cath. After working in the digital marketing industry, I decided it was time to share my love for online content creation, social media, and SEO with the everyday hustlers of the world… like YOU! You can almost always find me at a local coffee shop writing, reading and working on new things for The Content Bug. But when I have some free time, I love hanging out with my dog, going to a yoga class, and being outside. Stay connected with me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter to see what I’m up to!

SaveSave

45 responses to “How I Gained 1.1k Instagram Followers in 1 Month”

1. chigg says:

Good post, I love it so much.I was pretty lucky to find your site. There is a lot of helpful information!

2. Bunny says:

Thanks for the recommendation! I have an even smaller account than what you started with but I like the idea of spending half an hour here and there with the app. Definitely going to try it!

Hey Bunny!

I’m so glad you liked the recommendation! Instagram likes when you are active on the platform so spending some time here and there is perfect!

3. vineet says:

What a great piece of content. I assume that you have spent hours writing
    it. Thanks for sharing these ideas with us.

4. Andy Lowry says:

Hi Cath,

I tried looking for the app you suggested in Google’s App Store but wasn’t able to locate it. Is the app only for iPhone?

5. Torez says:

Thanks for this great post. I’ve have my blog for a little over 2 months now and I’ve been really starting to crack down and get serious about it! Looking forward to checking out more of your site!

6. Adarsh Singh says:

great tips for Instagram user…!!!

7. David Casady says:

Love this. Cause I work really hard on IG it bugs me when people allow a load of spam accounts to follow them to look like they have big numbers. I always check mine and block anyone that looks dodgy straight away. I could have thousands more followers! But real ones are the most important.
    Good tip about deleting the ones who haven’t engaged in a long time, I will have to look into that

• Cath says:

I couldn’t agree more! I have gotten several spam accounts over time but that’s not helping to grow and retain a quality following! At some point, you have to realize it’s not about how many followers you have but the quality of the ones you’ve got!

Thanks for the comment!
      Cathrin

8. Shyami goyal says:

Awesome post you just rock it in 1 month 1500 followers.
    Thanks for sharing these tips let’s try and increse my indta gram account followers

9. Jenn says:

It says in this post your goal is 50k instagram followers by the end of 2017, it’s now November and you don’t seem to have many more followers now than you did 9 months ago… what changed?

• Cath says:

If you read some of my other posts, I explain a little bit about what changed. But mainly, when I set that goal, I didn’t know too much about gaining an honest following on Instagram. And since doing all this work in 1 month, I decided that it wasn’t worth it. And it was actually a big waste of my time.

I now view my Instagram as a place where I connect with my current audience not try to build an audience. Because when I was just trying to grow, I was actually noticing that some of my most engaged followers would stop following me. And it just wasn’t worth it!

So if you want to grow your Instagram, that’s great! But remember it’s not all about your numbers… it’s about the actual people behind those numbers.

XO, Cath

10. Sarah says:

This was great! I’ve been struggling with getting followers on Instagram. I’ve joined a couple pods to help with engagement and that seems to have helped. No matter what it seems like you have to put in a lot of work. Thanks for the motivation!

Hey Sarah!

Growing your Instagram can be a lot of work, I definitely agree with that! But if you keep creating amazing content then your audience will grow in time.

XO, Cath

11. Celeste says:

Great article, thanks.. Our Instagram account is not nearly where we want it to be and I’m going to follow your tips. Growing your Instagram audience takes hard work but the rewards are great.

• Cath says:

If you want some extra tips and a guide to follow, make sure you download the free 30 day Instagram challenge! It will help to break you outside of your comfort zone to get the results you want!

Best of luck growing that Insta account! You can do it!
      XO, Cath

12. Pooja says:

Hi Cath,

It was ecstatic to read your post. I started my Instagram page just yesterday. I’m into doodling and lettering. And I hope it works well. Will definitely try to use your techniques.

Keep inspiring!

Hey Pooja!

That’s so exciting for you! I love lettering but I’ve never been good at it myself haha.

Make sure you stay tuned for the 30 Day Instagram challenge launching tonight! It’s gonna be FREE 🙂
      XO, Cath

13. Damjan Markovič | TryToBlog says:

Oh wow, that is amazing, congrats, Cath!

I’ve been trying to gain new followers as well and I engage with my community, but reading this, I see that I need to step my game up!
    Seriously, kudos on amazing growth, and I love that you did it the right way – by actually interacting with other people!

Keep up the awesome work!

Hey Damjan!

Thank you so much! It was some serious hard work but I’m excited to share with others and help everyone grow! Gaining a solid following on Instagram is now joke! Stay tuned for the launch of my 30 Day Instagram Challenge 🙂

XO, Cath

14. Leeza Maharjan says:

Hey!
    I found out your blogs and I’m really loving it. I just have 500+ followers on my Instagram I’m gonna try your tips and see how my instagram followers grow.????

Hi Lezza!

I’m so glad that you are loving my blog! And keep working on that Instagram growth! It’s all about engagement and providing real value to your audience! I believe in you 🙂

XO, Cath

15. Becca says:

This is a great article, thank you! That app is amazing – I’ve been looking for one to weed out the follow to unfollow grams and this is perfect, and free!

Hey Becca!

I could not agree more! When I was first getting started with Instagram that app was a life saver for me. It really helps you understand who your true followers are compared to the follow-unfollow accounts.

XO, Cath

16. Emily says:

Hi there! I found this to be really helpful. I recently started building my instagram, and while I’ve had a little success, I still am WAY to far from my goal of 1k followers. I’m trying to build it for my custom painted shoe business, and I sell on Etsy. I find it hard to reach “true” followers, and I have never had any sales. 🙁 It’s hard to find a target audience when most of my tags are paint, art, and etsy related. I wish I could say #bemycustomer but I don’t want to be pushy and annoying. Although your blog is different than what I’m doing, it was still helpful. I’m still trying, though, so thanks for the tips! 🙂

Hi Emily!

Thank you so much for the thoughtful comment! It is so important that you focus on building the right following and not just a large following. But here’s my recommendation to you… start out by finding 1 ideal customer. Just find 1 account that embodies your target audience. Then look to see what hashtags they use if any. Also, check out what accounts they follow! If they follow other Etsy custom painting store, then check out those accounts. See what they are doing and see what kind of people are following them. And then fee; free to engage with their followers!

This is a great way to find new accounts that would be interested in you! And don’t think of this as being sneaky. Just because they are following another account doesn’t mean that they can’t follow yours as well 🙂

XO, Cath

17. Bloggerpunit says:

Good work!
    Thank you for this great guide.
    Hopefully with your recommendation and these tips i will try it out again and see how it works.

• Cath says:

Thank you! And I’m glad that you enjoyed reading about my experience 🙂 It was surely a crazy month!

And always remember to focus on your engagement! This is by far the best way to grow all of your social media accounts!
      XO, Cath

18. Kasia says:

Great post. This is very encouraging. I launched my blog 1 month ago and I’m going fierce on Instagram and Pinterest. Two platforms I didn’t use before. I’ve grown my Twitter following over a few years so that’s helping a bit. And I’ve also joined Facebook groups so that all helps. I wish you great success and keep in touch.

19. yaneph says:

This blog post was filled with great content. I plan on using your tips to improve my Pinterest and Instagram accounts. I will be launching an online website soon and I think your tips will be great for building a brand. Thanks a lot and keep up the great work.
    Check out BlacbyDesign soon!

20. Brandi says:

Great, Great post!! You especially helped me with your success on IG. This has honestly been the one SM platform that’s caused me the greatest stress (for lack of a better word.) The app you shared is genius! You’ve inspired me to dive back into the waters once again! 😉 Now, I’ll be armed with the right equipment. Thanks again!

Hey Brandi!

With any social media account, you can’t focus on your numbers for the short term. think of your long term goals and come up with a plan on how you are going to get there. And then work for it!

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it! And that app is seriously great for monitoring your followers! I seriously recommend it. 🙂

21. Sareeta says:

Hi Saretta!

The app really was a game changer for me! I hope it works for you too.

And just remember that everyone started from the same spot you are at. You have to start at the bottom to make it to the top! 🙂

22. Adriana says:

This gave me SO much motivation! Thank you! I can’t believe this is only your second month. I’m in week three.

Take that $6 and go get yourself something nice. ????????

23. Anonymous says:

Wow, that’s fantastic for your second month of blogging! I’m not surprised though, your content is very detailed and really easy to read, I’m sure your success will continue.

24. Hanka says:

Wow! What numbers! Amazing! Congratulations!
    As for Pinterest, I’ve started with Group Boards last week, so I´m really curious, how it turns out!

• Cath says:

Pinterest group boards are great! I was a little worried with them appearing on my profile at first but it really is a great way to spread the love!

25. Philip says:

Thanks for this. Some great stuff!

26. Veronika says:

Hi Cathrin,
    Loved your article! That is amazing results you got just in one month! Congratulations! I am currently working on my Instagram and Pinterest followers numbers as well, and will definitely follow your blog for new updates and tips!

• Cath says:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you reading the post and supporting my blog!

Good luck with growing you Instagram and Pinterest. I just followed your Pinterest account and I can’t wait to see what you’ve been doing with your blog! 🙂